I’m thrilled that so many book clubs are reading BETTY FORD: First Lady, Women’s Advocate, Survivor, Trailblazer and many have asked for some Book Club Discussion Questions. So… here you go!
BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
- What did you learn about Betty Ford that you didn’t know before?
- Did you enjoy the book?
- How did Betty’s story make you feel?
- Were there any phases in Betty’s life to which you could particularly relate?
- Do you think you would enjoy being First Lady (or First Gentleman)?
- Did Betty’s story make you think differently about the role of the First Lady?
- Most of us have been touched in some way by alcoholism and/or drug addiction. What did you think about the way the Ford family handled Betty’s addiction to alcohol and prescription drugs? Could you relate?
- Have you ever been involved in an intervention?
- Melania Trump once said that she would be a “traditional” First Lady like Betty Ford or Jacqueline Kennedy. Do you think Betty Ford was “traditional”?
- Share a favorite quote from the book.
- Would you read another book by this author? Why or why not?
- Was there anything you wish the author had delved into more deeply?
- Did this book change your previous perception of President Ford and Betty Ford? If so, in what way?
- What would you say is Betty Ford’s most important legacy?